Skip to main content

Oh, Sleep

126.

Oh 3:30 in the morning, I'm getting used to meeting you everyday. A time I never thought I'd be very fond of in all honestly. Actually I'm not over enthralled to see you most days, i'd much rather be basking in the vast variety of my dreamland imagination. But it's just not meant to be right now.

Instead I lie here on my bed trying desperately to settle my baby on my chest so that she can sleep for another 3 hours but more importantly, so I can sleep another 3 hours. Problem is, like now I'm being tricked into believing she has fallen asleep but I know as soon as I go to move this beautiful bean of life I've created, she'll be wide awake chatting to herself in her native baby language making it totally impossible for me to catch those much needed 3 hours! 

Although in my mind I'm wishing I was in the position my husband is in right now, fast asleep, I do enjoy this quiet time me and the little one have together. Where she feels like she's hugging me as she's starfished across my torso. I can see that the sun is starting to rise through our bedroom blinds, so I don't feel so alone because it feels like other humans will be awake right now too. That might sound odd but when it's pitch black everywhere, it feels very lonely to me. As though you are the only person awake, when actually there's so many others doing the exact same thing as me right now. But again, don't get me wrong, I'd much rather be seeing the darkness of the insides of my eyelids right now! 

The tiredness is a shocker I have to admit! I knew I'd be tired because I wasn't getting a full nights sleep in the last stage of pregnancy but crikey! I feel like the walking dead! People LIE when they say that the lack of sleep before the baby arrives is 'your body getting prepared' no, no! It's a mean game that's what it is. I still feel as if I'm trying to catch up on the sleep I lacked so much before baby even got here. Sadly I know the reality is I'll be forever catching up now. Dark lines under my eyes has become a fashion statement I'm learning to embrace. Because trust me, no amount of concealer is concealing them! 

On more of a serious note, I'm shocked at how low the tiredness is making me feel. I feel like I haven't laughed in days, I'm just a ball of worry and self doubt. I'm overly critical of myself and I question my capability of being a first time mum. I put it all down to how tired I am. I know it's such a first world problem, feeling down and tired, I shouldn't gripe about it but I am feeling a bit shitty about myself. 

It's 4:00am now. There's enough light outside now to warrant me not needing my bedside light on anymore and I believe the little bundle is well and truly k.o'd now so my 3 hours are calling my name! 

Although the tiredness is having a slight negative effect on my brain at the moment, I'll stay awake for as long as this little one needs me too. Yes I will moan and groan whilst doing so, but that's love I guess.



Much love
Beth x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This may upset you...

50. Hello my loves. WOW we've made it to the fiftieth blog post, if you're reading this one and you've read all of the ones before, thank you for sticking with me and my public diary entries. If you are new to my posts then Hello and welcome to my life, my little world of, well, I'm not to sure...this. I'm listening and watching Sia - Elastic Heart, I absolutely love this song and I love the video! It's so incredibly powerful , I watch it without knowing what it is that is keeping me so drawn to it (maybe Shia's body...) but seriously please go and watch it, don't read the comments of the video if it's the first time you're watching it and let me know what you believe it is portraying. I won't tell you what I believe because I don't want my view to alter what you may initially feel.      I feel like it might be a good time to update you guys on my Dad. By the way, everything I write is solely my feelings and from my point of vie

In difficulty there is strength and laughter

53. Hello my loves... This may seem like a very strange time, some may think I shouldn't write at all right now but as I'm just sat here, waiting, I feel I should (plus I've been given permission from my sister Kellie and Rob) On Wednesday 4th February, which seems like a lifetime ago, I got a phone call to say things with Dad had took a turn and we all needed to get to the home as time was looking short. I can't explain the fear that was going through me. The panic was so strong I was physically shaking until i got to the home to see him.  I had no idea what to expect, what had happened or what was going to happen, I just had to go with it. I guess we all do when faced with these extremes.  I have to admit I was pretty shocked to see that once the sedation had worn off he was back to his smiley self, even dancing along to the music.  But we knew it was serious when they said he was now completely nill by mouth, no food, no liquid.  An influx of fa

Our story with MND so far..

6.  These are my feelings and my thoughts, no one else's, just mine. In June 2013 my Dad was dealt the card of Motor Neurone Disease, a horrible disease. MND attacks the central nervous system and causes muscles to weaken and waste away. People with MND have to struggle everyday with activities that wouldn't have affected them before. It can be different with each person but sadly the outcome is always the same, there are no survivors, only true fighters! There is no cure... In some cases of MND the person can also have Frontotemporal Dementia. A less common form of dementia but nevertheless devastating. My Dad also has this... I first realised that something wasn't quite right around January 2013, my dad and I were sat in a cafe and he couldn't open a folded lottery ticket my exact words to him were "can't you use for hands or something" his reply was "no, my hand has got really weak" I asked him to make a fist with his right han