Skip to main content

What I've Learnt 8 Weeks In

129.

8 weeks in, what I've learnt.

1. Making plans becomes a thing of the past! Babies don't work to a time frame, oh no!! If you make a plan and say you'll be somewhere at a particular time, you can bet your arse you won't make it in time! They'll either need a feed or poo, or 9 times out of 10 BOTH. I think I said to my friend I'd meet her at 10am once, an hour later I arrived! Don't get me wrong they'll be those savvy folk out there who have no issues at all with this but me, if I say one time add a good 30-40 mins on top of it! 
2. Prioritising what to do. When your wonderful new born baby finally drifts off to sleep it's a toss up on what you do first. Is it eat, pee, shower, clean, sleep or just crash on the sofa and watch a bit of mindless tele to relax. I usually go with Nutella on toast, while the bread is toasting away the kettle is boiling and while that's happening setting up the tele with a recording I made a week a go. I do all of this while secretly hoping the baby stays asleep for long enough so I can at least eat my toast...she always wakes up, I'm sure she just knows and does it to spite me!! 
3. Food! This kinda links in with 2 but I'll carry on anyway. You develop the ability to eat cold food without a care. The other night we had steak...fancy! An hour later it was still sat next to me, a part of me thought oh f*** it I'll have toast, again, but the part that won was, I'm so ridiculously tired I'll just eat it anyway! It was pretty awful but it did the job of filling my belly! 
4. Sleep! Or shall I say, lack of. I have developed more of a relationship with 3am than I have with some of my own family! If I wasn't in the haze of exhaustion I'd maybe appreciate the sunrise a little more. While I'm awake feeding baby girl I look over to Rob, gob wide open fast asleep Rob and think...you lucky bastard! In all honestly it does feel special having that bit of time just chilling with your new best mate, even when they spew all down your bare legs, it's truly a beautiful time...
5. 10,000 steps, in pretty sure if I had a pedometer on me at all times I'd smash the 10,000 steps target! I'm quite amazed the carpet hasn't been worn away. Lord knows I've tried other things but the only way to get baby girl to sleep is to pace, back and forth while she screams and screams. Eventually she gives in and succumbs to sleep. I often think, why fight the beauty that is sleep, if nap times where offered to me my god I'd take them! It's quite funny doing the back and forth catwalk in the living room, it gets to a point where you risk sitting down, too soon the screams start again but if you time it right it's like a lottery win. It's like I can hear my back muscles going 'ahhhh thank you' 
6. Public nappy changes. It's what all of us dread, the poopy nappy in a public place! There's many fears that over come you when it happens. 1, do they have a baby changing facility, 2, is it explosive, 3, do I have a change of outfit. Yesterday, she pooped, in a small independent cafe. I knew my chances of a baby changing unit where slim but my friend asked anyway, my doubts were true, there was none so I had to go into the only tiny toilet they have, bare in mind I'm 6ft1 and a chunky 6ft1 at that, my knees and back are destroyed at the moment, but none the less I had to get in there, crouch down, toilet is eye level to my left, the door is pressed against me on the right and baby girl is on the floor (on a changing mat) ready for that fresh nappy. Oh the stress!! Safe to say I got a sweat on. But I did it! Woohoo!!!
7. The utter love and happiness that one tiny little being brings is beyond anything in this whole world!! Being a new parent is hard, it's harder than you could ever even try to imagine. You are in sole charge of this one person, they solely rely on you and you have zero clue where to start! It's a complete learning curve, to begin with it knocks your confidence, you question everything, you feel as if all eyes are on you but who cares if they are! At the end of the day you do your best no matter what anyone thinks. When that baby smiles at you it's like their way of saying thank you, when baby girl smiles at me when she looks at me it's like woah! She knows me, she loves me, she's happy! I'm doing something right! Even when I think I'm not. With one smile I can forgive the lack of sleep, food, showers, happy muscles. It's all totally worth it! 

All those things above you just have to laugh at. They are unavoidable. No matter how well people make out they have it with their new baby, it's all a lie. We all have no idea what we are doing, we all have the same problems and we all deal with them even when we think we don't. So I can proudly say I think I'm doing a good job, and for any new mummies, daddies or going to be newbies you are doing a fantastic job too! Let's all tackle the lifetime of stress, worry, puke, pee and poo together 😂 




Much love
Beth xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This may upset you...

50. Hello my loves. WOW we've made it to the fiftieth blog post, if you're reading this one and you've read all of the ones before, thank you for sticking with me and my public diary entries. If you are new to my posts then Hello and welcome to my life, my little world of, well, I'm not to sure...this. I'm listening and watching Sia - Elastic Heart, I absolutely love this song and I love the video! It's so incredibly powerful , I watch it without knowing what it is that is keeping me so drawn to it (maybe Shia's body...) but seriously please go and watch it, don't read the comments of the video if it's the first time you're watching it and let me know what you believe it is portraying. I won't tell you what I believe because I don't want my view to alter what you may initially feel.      I feel like it might be a good time to update you guys on my Dad. By the way, everything I write is solely my feelings and from my point of vie

In difficulty there is strength and laughter

53. Hello my loves... This may seem like a very strange time, some may think I shouldn't write at all right now but as I'm just sat here, waiting, I feel I should (plus I've been given permission from my sister Kellie and Rob) On Wednesday 4th February, which seems like a lifetime ago, I got a phone call to say things with Dad had took a turn and we all needed to get to the home as time was looking short. I can't explain the fear that was going through me. The panic was so strong I was physically shaking until i got to the home to see him.  I had no idea what to expect, what had happened or what was going to happen, I just had to go with it. I guess we all do when faced with these extremes.  I have to admit I was pretty shocked to see that once the sedation had worn off he was back to his smiley self, even dancing along to the music.  But we knew it was serious when they said he was now completely nill by mouth, no food, no liquid.  An influx of fa

Our story with MND so far..

6.  These are my feelings and my thoughts, no one else's, just mine. In June 2013 my Dad was dealt the card of Motor Neurone Disease, a horrible disease. MND attacks the central nervous system and causes muscles to weaken and waste away. People with MND have to struggle everyday with activities that wouldn't have affected them before. It can be different with each person but sadly the outcome is always the same, there are no survivors, only true fighters! There is no cure... In some cases of MND the person can also have Frontotemporal Dementia. A less common form of dementia but nevertheless devastating. My Dad also has this... I first realised that something wasn't quite right around January 2013, my dad and I were sat in a cafe and he couldn't open a folded lottery ticket my exact words to him were "can't you use for hands or something" his reply was "no, my hand has got really weak" I asked him to make a fist with his right han